We were most fortunate to be inside this splendid home
for a delightful evening.
Join us in thanking our SPONSORS and all who donated to the historical society
Food by chef Paul Gileno of Hayfields who recently received the Caterer of the Year award from NYS Restaurant Association!
Flowers by Amy's Flowers
Music by Chick's Candy Store
Martin Aronchick & Richard Brooker
Goldens Bridge Fine Wines
Please enjoy this bit of history about the area, the homes and the people who lived here.
From early St. James records we know that in 1769 Rev. Epenetus Townsend was given 60 acres of land by Stephen Delancey and he built his home here. But Townsend was a Loyalist and by 1776 he and his family were long gone! According to the 1779 Erskine Map below, drawn for George Washington, a tavern, labeled “Youngwells” was on the site. The Titicus River is drawn across the bottom and here you see from left to right - Capt Steelrod (Delancey Hall), Youngwells Tavern, Salem Church (the first St. James) and Salem Meeting House (the first Presbyterian Meeting House). The tavern could very well have been on the same foundation as the Vogliano house but we do not have the information yet to make that leap.